Home
JAQForum Ver 24.01
Log In or Join  
Active Topics
Local Time 09:51 04 Oct 2026 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Prince of

Author Message
matherp
Guru

Joined: 11/12/2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 11934
Posted: 09:14am 21 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Full details in the zip file. Needs 6.03.02b12 or later and RP2350 HDMI or VGA build with PSRAM

PrinceOfPico.zip



Level 1 screens
 
Martin H.

Guru

Joined: 04/06/2022
Location: Germany
Posts: 1560
Posted: 10:39am 21 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

First Impression: Great, that worked.

Some Points of criticism (not directed at you, I guess that's because of the source files): The playing field is narrower, so you can't see the paths on the left side, and the graphics are far below what they could be on the Pico, but the gameplay itself looks good.
Edited 2026-09-21 20:47 by Martin H.
'no comment
 
matherp
Guru

Joined: 11/12/2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 11934
Posted: 10:48am 21 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It is a direct convert of the BBC version. If you want to have a play with colours or graphics then please do hopefully the game engine itself should allow for it.
 
Martin H.

Guru

Joined: 04/06/2022
Location: Germany
Posts: 1560
Posted: 10:53am 21 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

  matherp said  It is a direct convert of the BBC version. If you want to have a play with colours or graphics then please do hopefully the game engine itself should allow for it.

Yes, I found the BMP files where the tiles are stored. I'll take a look to see if and how I can edit them.
But the game is running just fine   —I just keep dying way too early to make it through the level.
'no comment
 
matherp
Guru

Joined: 11/12/2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 11934
Posted: 11:01am 21 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A big improvement would be to update the sprites which I think are all in one file. You would then need to look at the use of the map statement in the program. The transparent colour is currently 11 so you have the other 15 to play with.
 
Martin H.

Guru

Joined: 04/06/2022
Location: Germany
Posts: 1560
Posted: 09:27am 24 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One problem, among others, is that the Apple II generated some of its colors using the NTSC error, which is why some colors are stored as vertical lines in the source files. This results in only half the horizontal resolution and is difficult to convert.
Here are two examples: the Apple graphic and my adaptation:
On the left is CUTROOM.BMP from the Apple II; on the right is my version.
Below that is the sprite sheet “sheet4.bmp,” and next to it is my initial attempt to improve the sprites for RGB 121. I keep the sprites in the same position and at the same size so that no adjustments to the program code are necessary; the only thing that’s omitted is the “MAP” command. The corresponding lines can then be REMed out.


I'm using the Sega Genesis version as a guide, but I'm not just copying the images as they are.
I still have quite a bit of work ahead of me, but I'm already looking forward to the result
Cheers
Martin
'no comment
 
Volhout

Guru

Joined: 05/03/2018
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6151
Posted: 09:50am 24 Sep 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wauw Martin,

This is going to be beautiful. Can't wait to play it with your upgraded tiles.

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS
 
Martin H.

Guru

Joined: 04/06/2022
Location: Germany
Posts: 1560
Posted: 09:01am 03 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So, here's a quick update:
I've now customized about 90% of the Prince animation sprites and some parts of the environment; next up are the enemies.
The program has been modified so that it no longer executes the MAP commands.

PoPico



cheers
Martin
Edited 2026-10-03 19:34 by Martin H.
'no comment
 
Mixtel90

Guru

Joined: 05/10/2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9166
Posted: 10:00am 03 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think you need a few changes to make the game very slightly different and give Ubisoft's lawyers a giggle.

Prince of Preston - The search for the Holy Beard Trimmer

Although I don't remember Preston being quite so rocky and I believe they have installed electric lighting now.  :)

(Lovely work, Martin!)

.
Edited 2026-10-03 20:01 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
 
matherp
Guru

Joined: 11/12/2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 11934
Posted: 10:06am 03 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In my thread title I called it Prince of Pico but somehow that went missing. I think perhaps I put a quote in the line. The same happened to the thread title of V7.00.00 which should have had "Scotty: I need more power" after the colon.

Martin: looks great!
Edited 2026-10-03 20:06 by matherp
 
Print this page


To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

The Back Shed's forum code is written, and hosted, in Australia.
© JAQ Software 2026